Breathing Technique To Control Anxiety
Mindfulness breathing exercises have been shown to have many benefits like stress reduction, controlling anxiety and relaxation. The 4-7-8 breathing technique was developed by Dr. Andrew Weil. He refers to it as a “Natural tranquilliser for the nervous system.”
You can practise 4-7-8 breathing anywhere and at any time. When you’re first learning, try to practise at least twice a day, but you can do it as often as you want. Only do it for four cycles in a row in the beginning. After you get used to it, you can work up to eight cycles. You may feel lightheaded at first, but this will pass.
- Find a comfortable place to sit with your back straight.
- Place your tongue against the back of your top teeth and keep it there.
- Exhale completely through your mouth around your tongue, making a whoosh sound. Purse your lips if it helps.
- Close your lips and inhale through your nose for a count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth making a whoosh sound for a count of eight.
This completes one cycle. Repeat 3 times.
Break the chaos. Connect with Vibrant Aura by Sejal for more such practices. Check bio for details.